View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Railway tunnel cross section plans taking roll into account 

Hi,
I want to produce cross section plans along a railway tunnel based on a surveyed centreline. I have managed to do this by extruding a polygon (train template) along a polyline that defines the centreline of the track. The problem is that my cross section plans need to show measurements relative to the cant (or roll) of the railway track. In other words, as the train turns and travels around a curve it will lean into the curve. Is it possible to produce a suitable extruded shape that takes into account the cant of the railway track?
Thanks,
Sam

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:17 am

Hi Sam,

When you create your extrusion, in the Mesh, Extrusion dialog there will be two buttons next to the 'Select a path' radio button. Select 1st path and Select 2nd path. The first path is the one you have been using so far. The second path would be the one describing the elevation changes along the first path.

Select the first path - polyline that is the alignment or direction of the tracks/tunnel
Select the second path - polyline that is the elevation changes along first path

Select 'Turn with the curve' and 'Make perpendicular to the path' and you should be all set.

Doug

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]