View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Working with CT Scan Data, How to isolate exterior points? 

Hi,

We are evaluating the 3DReshaper software for use with our CT Scanner on castings we design and make.
Please point me to documentation on how one would use 3DReshaper to extract the outer shape/surface point cloud of a part and also isolate the voids internally in the part into another point cloud set from a CT Scan Point Cloud?
My goal's to create a digital virtual copy of a part we make along with the internal voids the actual part has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Don Anderson

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm

M. Don Anderson,

Thanks for your interest in 3D Reshaper Meteor. First, to work with CT data, you need the Voxel Plugin and a license for this plugin. If you already get the plugin (menu) and the license, you can do the following:
1/ Import the CT data => you will have an object in the group 'Volume'
2/ Set the threshold to visualize your part inside the CT data with the command 'Voxel'/'Edit histogram'. You can also change the representation (with the contextual menu).
3/ Use the command 'Voxel'/'Extract cloud'. Set the threshold to the value you set for display (or use the button 'Get Value from display').
=> Here you have a point cloud with all your data (the surface and the voids) in the group 'Cloud'
4/ Use the command 'Cloud'/'Filter/Explode Cloud(s)'. Use the option 'Explode with distance' and set a distance lower than the smaller distance between the surface and the voids.
=> you obtain several clouds, corresponding to the surface (first one in the list) and the voids, ordered by the decreasing number of points.

You can do an equivalent step instead of the step 3, with the command 'Voxel'/'Extract mesh'. The computation time will be longer but you will have directly meshes for you surface and the voids.

Feel free to comment/ask new questions.

Mickael
3D Reshaper Meteor

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:28 am

Hi Mickael,
This appears to be what I'm looking for.
Who do I need to talk to get an updated trail license with the voxel plugin authorization?
I have the demo software installed but my current trial license won't support the voxel plugin.
I submitted a license request again today.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Don Anderson

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]